Why Buy Local Produce?
You’ve probably heard the phrase “buy local” often these days, but what does it mean? Locally grown food is just as it sounds – food grown close to where you live. Usually, locally grown food comes from a family farm. For example, Belue Farms offers a wide array of locally grown vegetables, fruit, honey (made from bees on the farm) and even grass-fed Angus beef. Food produced on our South Carolina family farm offers an array of healthy benefits for both the earth and its people.
- Fresher quality and better taste with less refrigeration
- Personal knowledge of the farm and its varieties, quality and farming practices
- Longer shelf life for less spoilage and deterioration of nutrients
- More produce options, including heirloom varieties and foods native to the region
- Natural immunities found in local foods such as honey
- Less environmental impact due to lower energy and transportation costs
- Less packaging and preservatives needed to keep food fresh during transport
- Support of a family farm which prevents urban sprawl
- Higher contribution to local businesses and the local economy